Rideshare services such as Lyft make life convenient for many people. Unfortunately, they can also be risky. If you were hurt in a rideshare accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation from the Lyft driver and/or their insurance provider.
Seeking damages from a big business like Lyft can be daunting, so you might prefer working with a lawyer with experience handling cases like yours. A Rock Hill car accident attorney with Schiller & Hamilton can help you seek damages for medical bills and more.
Potential Damages in a Rock Hill Lyft Accident Case
Our lawyer can evaluate the losses from your Lyft accident in Rock Hill and estimate how much they are worth. You may be entitled to damages for your:
- Medical expenses, such as your emergency treatment, ambulance bills, X-rays or other diagnostic imaging services, surgeries or other procedures, hospital stays, follow-up appointments, rehabilitative therapies, medical equipment, and prescription medications
- Future medical expenses, such as the cost of staying in a rehabilitation facility, ongoing therapies, in-home health aides, and future medical procedures
- Loss of income for your lost tips, wages, or salary if you are temporarily unable to work
- Future loss of income if you must take a lower-paying position because of your injuries or if you must leave the workforce altogether
- Property damage for repairs to or replacement of your vehicle
- Pain and suffering for your physical injuries and emotional trauma
Wrongful Death Losses in a Rock Hill Lyft Accident Case
A recent study published in Science found that car occupant and pedestrian fatalities increased by two to three percent between 2011 and 2016, coinciding with the introduction of rideshare services.
If you lost a loved one in a Lyft accident in Rock Hill, you may be entitled to damages for wrongful death. While no amount of money can ever truly compensate you for the loss of your family member, it can help you remain financially secure in a difficult time. You may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses for treatment your family member received after the Lyft accident
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of care, companionship, protection, experience, knowledge, and judgment
- Pain and suffering experienced by surviving members
For a free legal consultation with a Rock Hill Lyft Accident Lawyer call 1-803-366-0333
How Can a Lawyer at Our Firm Help With a Lyft Accident Case?
Seeking damages after an auto accident in Rock Hill can be complex. You must show who caused your accident, determine whether the driver was working for Lyft at the time of the accident, and submit large volumes of paperwork. Our lawyer can take over these tasks and keep you updated on the progress of your case so you can focus on healing. We can:
- Investigate your Lyft accident: We will collect evidence, such as the police report, eyewitness statements, medical records, and photos, showing who caused the accident.
- Communicate with the insurance company on your behalf: We will handle all phone calls, emails, and other communication with the insurance company. We will submit an insurance claim for you.
- Negotiate an insurance settlement: We will negotiate an out-of-court settlement that provides you with fair compensation for your losses.
- File a lawsuit against the at-fault driver: Directly suing the driver responsible for your Lyft accident may be the best way to get the compensation you deserve. Our lawyer will prepare your case for trial, file a lawsuit, and represent you in court.
Rock Hill Lyft Accident Lawyer Near Me 1-803-366-0333
Rideshare Drivers Should Carry Auto Insurance in Rock Hill, South Carolina
Lyft drivers should carry personal auto insurance that covers them while they are driving for personal reasons. The South Carolina Department of Insurance states that drivers must carry both liability and uninsured motorist coverage in case of a car accident. Both liability and uninsured motorist coverages must meet these minimum requirements:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury
- $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
Lyft Provides Insurance for Working Drivers
When a Lyft driver is driving for Lyft, Lyft provides them with auto insurance. The value of this coverage varies based on the driver’s activity at the time of the accident. Drivers with the Lyft app on and who are able to receive ride requests have this coverage:
- $50,000/person for bodily injury
- $100,000/accident for bodily injury
- $25,000/accident for property damage
Lyft drivers who have the app on and are on their way to pick up riders or are actively transporting riders at the time of the accident have this insurance coverage:
- At least $1 million in liability coverage
- Comprehensive and collision coverage up to the cash value of the Lyft driver’s car if the driver carries comprehensive and collision coverage on their personal auto insurance policy
- Other coverages such as uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance, personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, medical payments coverage, and/or occupational accident coverage
Our lawyer serving Rock Hill with Schiller & Hamilton will determine whether the Lyft driver involved in your accident was driving for the rideshare company or for personal reasons and whether their personal insurance or Lyft’s insurance should cover your damages.
File Your Rock Hill Lyft Accident Lawsuit Before the South Carolina Deadline
S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530 establishes the statute of limitations for personal injury and wrongful death at three years. This law means that you typically have three years from the date of your Lyft accident in Rock Hill to file a personal injury lawsuit or three years from the date your loved one passed away to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If you wait any longer, you forfeit your legal right to sue the at-fault party.
Three years may seem like a long time, but quick action is critical in a Lyft accident case. Some evidence, such as pictures of the scene, toxicology reports, and eyewitness statements, is time sensitive. Our personal injury lawyer with Schiller & Hamilton can investigate your case, gather evidence, establish a timeline of events, and ensure you meet all legal deadlines.
Schiller & Hamilton Is Ready to Help With Your Rock Hill Lyft Accident Case
Our rideshare accident lawyers at Schiller & Hamilton are ready to help if you were hit by a Lyft driver, were a passenger in a Lyft vehicle involved in an accident, or lost a loved one in a Lyft accident in Rock Hill. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation case consultation. Don’t go it alone. We’ve got your back