Rock Hill Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle riders typically face life-threatening injuries when they are hit by cars, trucks, or other motor vehicles. They may suffer serious injuries from the initial collision or from being knocked to the ground or thrown from their bikes. These types of catastrophic injuries can lead to expensive medical bills, lost income, and ongoing financial burdens.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bicycle accident in Rock Hill, our dedicated personal injury attorneys can help you pursue the full and fair compensation you deserve. Our Rock Hill bicycle accident lawyers have been helping crash victims recover financially and move on with their lives for more than 20 years.
If you were injured in a bicycle accident that someone else caused, our attorneys will fight fiercely to hold the at-fault party accountable and demand compensation for medical bills and other losses you have suffered. Before agreeing to anything an insurance company offers you, you should discuss your case with us.
Contact the skilled personal injury attorneys of Schiller & Hamilton today for a free consultation. All of our personal injury services are provided on a contingency-fee basis, so our representation won’t cost you a cent unless we recover money for you.
What Types of Compensation are Available After a Cycling Accident?
Our skilled attorneys will investigate your accident and thoroughly assess your injuries to determine what full and fair compensation should be in your case. A bicycle accident claim may seek payment for medical expenses, lost income, property damage, pain and suffering, and punitive damages.
- Medical expenses: Even if you have health insurance for many of your medical bills related to the accident, we can seek the full amount billed by health care providers for all accident-related treatment you receive. This includes expenses since your accident and projected costs for rehabilitation and other anticipated care needs.
- Lost income: If you can no longer work because of your injuries or you are forced to take a lesser-paying job, we will seek payment to make up for the reduction in your future earnings.
- Property damage: We will demand payment for costs to repair or replace your bicycle, which we realize may be an expensive piece of equipment, as well as other gear that was damaged.
- Pain and suffering: You deserve consideration for your physical, emotional, and psychological pain and suffering attributable to the accident. Our team will work with you to document how detrimental your injuries have been to you and your lifestyle, and seek appropriate compensation. If bicycling was a significant part of your life and you are no longer able to ride because of your injuries, you deserve to be compensated for this loss.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, we are able to seek compensation as punishment for someone who has acted with intentional or extreme misbehavior that caused injury. For example, punitive damages may be available if a motorist was driving while drunk and hit a bicyclist.
Medical expenses and lost income typically make up the majority of losses bicyclists suffer in serious accidents. We consult independent doctors, financial planners, and, as needed, life care planning experts to ensure we account for the total economic impact an accident has had on our client.
Our law firm has a long record of successfully negotiating accident claim settlements and prevailing in jury trials. Our Rock Hill lawyers develop strong cases to fight for the maximum compensation our clients need to properly recover after a bicycle accident. Contact us today for a free consultation, and learn about the legal options available to you.
Importance of Seeking Legal Counsel
At Schiller & Hamilton, we recognize that, after an accident, calling an attorney is far down the list of things to do. Your priority is getting medical attention, making sure your family’s immediate needs are met, and, perhaps, making arrangements with your employer to be out for an unknown period.
However, you need to speak to an experienced bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible if your crash was caused by someone else. Schiller & Hamilton can move fast to investigate your accident, protect your right to an insurance claim, and take the pressure off you so you can focus on healing.
Our local cycling injury attorneys and supporting legal team can help you by:
- Protecting your rights as law enforcement and insurance adjusters investigate your accident
- Compiling evidence necessary to demonstrate what happened to you, including police reports, witness statements, any available traffic or security camera footage, medical records, bicycle repair estimates, etc.
- Helping you document your injuries and their impact with video, photographs, statements from you and friends and family, etc.
- Hiring experts to analyze the physical and financial effects your injury will have on you in the future, and what you are due as compensation for your losses
- Keeping creditors off your back by advising them of your pending legal claim
- Referring you to appropriate specialized medical care, if needed
- Finding someone who knows bicycles like yours to assess the damage and what’s required to repair or replace it
Do not rely on an insurance company to look out for you after a bicycle accident. The skilled attorneys at Schiller & Hamilton will have your back. We do not charge legal fees unless and until we have recovered compensation for you. Schedule a free consultation with one of our bike accident attorneys today.
What are the Common Causes of Bike Accidents?
Motorists are often quick to blame the bicyclist after an accident. However, our lawyers have investigated bicycle accidents across Rock Hill for more than two decades. We know how cyclists are injured in collisions. Most often, bicyclists are simply run down by negligent motorists who have failed to look for a bicyclist in traffic and:
- Violated right of way
- Failed to yield
- Ran a red light or stop sign
- Sideswiped the bike
- Opened a door into the path of a cyclist
Unfortunately, bicyclists are often the victims of hit-and-run drivers, who realize they have caused a serious accident but want to avoid blame. Even if the driver who hit you has not been caught yet, you should consult with an attorney about your legal rights.
Common Types of Injuries
Bicycle accidents cause injuries in the initial impact of the crash and the secondary impact as the cyclist is thrown to the ground. We often see severe injuries such as:
- Fractures of arms, legs, pelvis, hands, feet, jaws, and facial bones and teeth
- Head injuries, including concussions and more serious traumatic brain injury (TBI), even if the rider wore a helmet
- Back and spine injuries, which can cause paralysis (paraplegia or tetraplegia) if the spinal cord is severed or torn
- Chest and abdominal injuries, like fractured ribs or ruptured organs, such as the heart, lungs, liver, and bowels
- Cuts, contusions, abrasions, and occasional “degloving” injuries, in which an extensive section of skin is completely torn from underlying tissue because a bicyclist was dragged by the motor vehicle
In addition to emergency medical care, the victim of a serious bicycle accident is likely to require hospitalization, surgery, and rehabilitation over a long recovery period. Unfortunately, many bicycle accident injuries are fatal or leave the cyclist permanently disabled. We work with families to pursue personal injury or wrongful death claims in catastrophic cases.
Importance of a Rock Hill Bicycle Injury Attorney
If you have suffered injuries in a bicycle accident, talk to a skilled injury attorney as soon as possible about your legal rights. Our Rock Hill bicycle accident lawyers can begin investigating your accident immediately while the evidence is still available and before South Carolina’s strict statute of limitations on personal injury claims becomes an issue.
Schedule a free, no-obligation legal consultation with one of our attorneys in Rock Hill today. We can meet with you at our law offices, in your home, or at the hospital ─ wherever is best for you. Contact us today for a prompt response.