When you were stationed at Camp Lejeune, you had one thing on your mind: serving your country. You had no idea that the water used for drinking and bathing was contaminated with harmful chemicals. Now, decades after leaving the base, you could live with a life-altering condition.
If you were stationed at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days between 1953 to 1987, you can seek compensation for your hardships. A Lancaster SC Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuit could yield the funds you need. A lawyer from Schiller & Hamilton can represent your best interests. We offer free case reviews.
The Details Behind The Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit
Camp Lejeune served as a military base right before World War I started. Today, the base hosts 170,000 activity duty service members, retirees, dependents, and civilians. Since its inception in the 1940s, millions of people have lived on or near the base.
Unfortunately, as noted, many of these people were exposed to volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which were present in the water supply. As a result, veterans and their loved ones suffered:
- Cancer (including those affecting the bladder, kidneys, esophagus, etc.)
- Hepatic steatosis
- Birth defects
- Renal toxicity
- Neurobehavioral effects, such as depression
In 1982, the Marine Corps discovered contaminants in Camp Lejeune’s water supply––which had gone unaddressed for more than 30 years. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) estimates that millions of people were exposed to the VOCs in the water supply. The organization notes that victims could recover compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Lancaster SC Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit call 1-803-366-0333
Why Partner With A Lancaster SC Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawyer?
Getting compensation for your damages is a multi-faceted process. It requires you to establish a connection between your condition and the water contamination at Camp Lejeune. Without legal help, this could be a difficult undertaking.
When you partner with an attorney from Schiller & Hamilton:
We Will Gather Evidence To Assert Your Case
Every personal injury case requires evidence. To support your case, our team will find and utilize:
- Your medical records
- Testimony from witnesses and third-party field consultants
- Your military records
- Receipts, invoices, and billing statements related to your losses
We Will File Your Claim With The Liable Party
You have a few options when seeking financial recovery for your losses:
- You can sue the U.S. government. This may seem like a monumental undertaking. Yet, the government acknowledges that Camp Lejeune harmed many people. Right now, officials are working on passing the Honoring Our PACT Act, which would provide reimbursement for Camp Lejeune water contamination claimants.
- You can pursue veteran disability benefits. If you meet certain requirements, you can seek benefits through VA. Your claim must assert that you were stationed at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days between 1953 and 1987. You must also show that you were honorably discharged.
Our team of South Carolina personal injury lawyers can evaluate your case and explore your options.
We Will Pursue The Compensation You Deserve
With help from our injury lawyers in Lancaster, SC, you could recover:
- Medical bills. Financial recovery for healthcare expenses could include medications, hospitalization, and medically-necessary procedures.
- Lost income. Your condition may have affected your income and earning power.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering accounts for the toll your condition has taken on your life. We will determine the cost of your pain and suffering after evaluating your situation.
- Funeral and burial costs. You may consider legal action after losing a loved one who lived at Camp Lejeune. You can recover the reasonable cost of their funeral and burial costs, among other related fees.
This is not an exhaustive list of recoverable damages. The lawyers at Schiller & Hamilton will pursue everything you need.
You Don’t Have To Deal With Your Case’s Challenges Alone
Although the government seems willing to pay out claims, you don’t want to go through this process without help. Pursuing compensation through an injury claim or lawsuit isn’t easy. You have to gather evidence, file your claim, and understand your damages’ cost.
Our legal team will:
- File your claim
- Negotiate a settlement
- Gather compelling evidence
- Consult with medical professionals and military personnel
- Protect your case from unnecessary delays
- Manage all relevant communications
Above all else, we hope to give you peace of mind. After serving your country, we want you to focus on your family and personal well-being. In the meantime, we’ll manage your legal case and everything it entails.
Lancaster Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawyer Near Me 1-803-366-0333
Who Can File A Lancaster SC Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Case?
As you already know, military bases aren’t only for Marines and soldiers. Many people call these bases home. So, you don’t necessarily have to be a veteran to recover damages. Consider the following:
- Guardsmen, veterans, and reservists can apply for veteran disability benefits. They can also file a third-party claim against the U.S. government.
- Veterans, guardsmen, reservists, military base employees, and civilians living on the base can pursue compensation by filing a claim or lawsuit against the government.
During your free case review, we can evaluate your eligibility for filing a claim or lawsuit. We can also answer any questions you have about your case.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire A Water Contamination Lawyer?
The attorneys at Schiller & Hamilton have served South Carolina for more than two decades. During that time, we’ve advocated for underdogs and their loved ones. We believe if another party caused you harm, you shouldn’t pay anything out of pocket for our help.
Our law firm in Lancaster SC works on a contingency-fee basis. You pay nothing for our help until we resolve your case. That way, you can focus on healing––and we can focus on your legal matters.
We’re Proud Of The Work We Do For Injured People
When asked about their experience working with us, previous clients have shared:
- “Yes, I would recommend them. They stayed pretty well on the spot. They stayed in contact and let me know what was going on. They were hard working and got me a fair settlement. They did a good job!” – L.S.
- “These guys are amazing. When I had nowhere else to turn, Bennett Schiller and his paralegal Donna Cooper, were there. They handled my case fantastically. I was in a terrible situation and they saw me through. They are so great.” – C.L.
You can read more about our testimonials by visiting our website.
Begin Your Free Case Review With Our Attorneys Serving Lancaster, SC
If you suffered health complications because of water contamination at Camp Lejeune, you have legal options. Schiller & Hamilton can manage your legal case and everything it requires to reach a fair outcome. To begin your free case review, call today.