Getting into a car accident can spur on immediate problems, like having to pay medical bills because you were injured or having to rent a vehicle while yours gets repaired at the mechanic’s. Car accidents cause several financial inconveniences for many, but other consequences like emotional distress and long-term disability can also result if the collision was severe or even fatal.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a car accident, a car accident lawyer from Schiller & Hamilton wants to represent you. Our legal team represents accident victims of all kinds and helps them pursue the financial compensation they need to get back on their feet. We offer the first consultation for free to discuss your case and what legal routes you can take.
You May Qualify for Many Damages Besides Property Losses in Accident Cases
After a car accident, you can opt to file an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit depending on the extent of your damages and the severity of your case overall. Our legal team will counsel on which routes serve your interests, then prepare a legal case on your behalf, regardless of whether your case goes to trial.
We Encourage You to Tell Us How Your Accident Affected You
To start, we will ask you about how the car accident has affected your life. This process helps us estimate how much compensation we should strive for based on the damages you claim. For example, we may ask:
- Did you sustain injuries that require long-term medical treatment or physical therapy? What were these costs?
- Were you forced to take extended time off from work? How has this affected your pay?
- Are you able to return to work despite your injuries, or will you be forced to take a lower-paying position to earn income? Will you have to leave your career industry because of your injuries?
- Have you experienced depression, anxiety, or trouble sleeping because of your injuries?
- Did the accident leave you with a disability? Is this disability permanent and how does it affect your overall quality of life?
As we discuss your damages, we will categorize them into two main categories: economic damages, which cover your financial losses; and non-economic damages, which cover all physical, emotional, and mental losses. Some common examples of damages our clients claim include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and reduced earning potential.
Our Car Accident Lawyer Can Manage Your Case from Its Beginning to End
When we take on clients, we take the lead on their case to relieve them of any legal burdens, especially since many of our clients are still recovering from their injuries when they come to us. You can leave the hard work to us, and our team will reach out to you with case updates as they arrive.
As our client, we will do the following to manage your case:
- Conduct our own investigation into your car accident to identify the at-fault driver or a liable party, such as the driver’s employer if they were working at the time of the accident
- Collect evidence during the discovery stage, which may involve speaking with witnesses, requesting video footage from nearby surveillance cameras, and documenting the scene of the accident
- Handle communications with interested parties, such as insurance representatives, the other party’s legal team, and court officials
- Counsel you on different aspects of your case, such as official statements, whether to move forward with a lawsuit, or settlement offers
- Organize efforts to negotiate a potential settlement deal on your behalf
- Prepare your case for trial and present your arguments in front of a jury
If you ever have questions or concerns about your case, you are welcome to reach out to your car accident lawyer or our team for further advice. Our aim is to respect your decisions as your legal advocates.
We Keep Track of Your Case’s Statutory Deadline So It Remains Valid
Car accident cases fall under personal injury law, which means they have a limited window of opportunity for plaintiffs to claim compensation. Each state has a statute of limitations that defines general deadlines for personal injury cases, so it is important to confirm your case’s filing deadline to determine how much you have to submit your case.
As an example, in South Carolina, S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530 sets a three-year window for plaintiffs to file their personal injury lawsuits, starting on the date of the accident. Those filing wrongful death cases, where the victims were unable to survive their injuries and now require a personal representative to bring their case forward, also have a three-year window. However, this filing period begins on the date of the victim’s death.
Our legal team will confirm your case’s filing deadline and take appropriate steps to submit it on time.
Our Car Accident Attorneys Work on a Contingency-Fee Basis
Some people don’t consider working with an attorney because of the cost to afford one. However, many personal injury law firms like ours work on a contingency-fee basis. This means our attorneys will provide legal services on the contingency that should we win your case, we will receive a percentage of your compensation award. We will discuss these terms during your first consultation.
With a contingency fee agreement, this allows you to:
- Receive legal counsel and a representative without having to worry about hourly rates
- Avoid having to pay for our legal services out of your own pocket
- Be more at ease about your case since we only collect attorney’s fees when we win cases, thus giving us a larger incentive to build strong cases for our clients
Call Now to Get a Free Case Review from Our Team at Schiller & Hamilton
If you or someone you love sustained injuries in a car accident, you may have grounds to file a claim or lawsuit against an at-fault driver or a related liable party and pursue compensation for your damages. Our legal team at Schiller & Hamilton serves accident victims like you in South Carolina, and we are prepared to build you a comprehensive case and fight for your financial recovery.
Our personal injury lawyers have won awards and been named in the Top 100 list by the National Trial Lawyers (NTL), Top 10 list by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys (NAOPIA), and Top 40 Under 40 list by the NTL. Call now to get a free consultation with a member of our team, who will explain how a car accident lawyer from our firm can represent you.