What you should do in the days following a motorcycle accident is similar to what you do after a car or truck accident:
- Insist on filing a police report
- Obtain a copy of your report as soon as it is ready
- Get any required medical care
- Speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer
Your priority should be treating any injuries and following up to ensure you experience optimal physical recovery. Then, consider getting legal guidance and support to help you pursue the at-fault driver for financial compensation. While you focus on your physical recovery, your lawyer can focus on building the strongest possible case for you.
Receive and Document Any Necessary Medical Care
The difference in size and weight between your motorcycle and the at-fault driver’s vehicle can lead to severe, potentially life-threatening, injuries. So, accept any emergency medical care offered following the crash. Then, in the days following the accident, stick to your treatment plan and start documenting your medical care.
This documentation includes compiling the following:
- Accident-related medical bills
- Prescription medication receipts
- Required assistive medical devices
- Ambulance and emergency room fees
- Written prognosis and referrals
Document all therapy and rehabilitation you receive since you can recover these costs as part of your post-accident medical expenses. Meanwhile, your lawyer will continue to collect your medical bills as your case progresses. To ensure the accuracy of your case, they will compile records and bills from every medical provider and facility where you received care.
Obtain a Copy of Your Motorcycle Accident Report
Your official motorcycle accident report should be available within days of its filing. It is an essential part of your evidence file and will contain critical information for your attorney. Your crash report will tell your lawyer:
- The date, time, and location of the collision
- Contact details for the driver and their insurer
- Points of impact and damage to each vehicle
- Readily apparent injuries you sustain
- The accident’s causes and contributing factors
- Notes and diagrams from the investigating officer
If your injuries prevent you from fully participating in your case, your lawyer can obtain your motorcycle accident report and other evidence.
Collect Any Readily Available Evidence
In most cases, your motorcycle accident attorney will handle evidence collection for you rather than tax you or your family with this daunting and time-consuming task. So, at your initial meeting with the law firm, bring along any evidence you have in your possession.
Your lawyer will build a complete case file on your behalf that might include the following:
- Accident scene and injury photos
- Employment records
- Medical records
- Motorcycle accident report
- Motorcycle repair bills
- Witness statements
- Written prognosis
A convincing evidence file can steer your motorcycle accident case toward an insurance settlement and away from the stress of a lengthy trial.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-803-366-0333
It Is Never Too Soon to Contact a Personal Injury Law Firm
The sooner you contact an attorney about your accident, the more time they have to conduct a comprehensive investigation. Early involvement also means your attorney can comply with the statute of limitations in your case (in South Carolina, three years per S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530).
A motorcycle accident lawyer can request the following damages on your behalf:
- Economic damages: These include past and future medical bills and income loss. This category also includes the cost of treatment-related travel expenses and property damage or total loss of your motorcycle.
- Noneconomic damages: These include ongoing physical pain and suffering, mental and emotional trauma, and diminished quality of life. They also account for any lasting physical impairment or disfigurement.
Your attorney can also handle the insurance company and the negotiation process on your behalf. Finally, they’ll ensure you get the fair and appropriate financial compensation you are entitled to receive.
Understand the Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
What can a personal injury law firm do for you rather than taking on the motorcyclist’s insurance company yourself? A motorcycle accident attorney can help with the following:
- Identifying the accident’s cause
- Calculating your recoverable damages
- Searching for photos and video footage
- Handling all case-related communication
- Completing and submitting insurance claim forms
- Clarifying complex legal terminology and jargon
- Addressing your legal questions and concerns
- Providing ongoing updates on your case
Most importantly, your lawyer will handle the negotiation process and fight hard to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Contact Our Case Review Team
If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, what you do in the days immediately following the accident matter. It is never too soon to contact one of our team members to learn about your next steps and compensation options.
You can learn more about the process of seeking the compensation your family desperately needs after a motorcycle collision during your free, no-obligation consultation with Schiller & Hamilton. Contact one of our case review team members today to get started.